Design Games 09
Design Games 09
- A course by Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Fall 2009 @ Georgia Tech, for questions contact mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration: COA 8843 ED # 86317, also CS 8803 DG # 87561
- please note the sharing of document on this site is for educational purpose only.
Design Games Member
Please add yourself in the Design Games 09 Member page
Start of Classes to Fall Recess
Week 1 (8/18, 8/20): Introduction
- 8/18 information, introduction of the class, origami making exercise - everyone can be creative, because everyone can make things!
- Homework - create a personal profile page in the Design Games 09 Member which include (1) your name, a picture of you, some background - same as what you said today or something else, your goals for this class, and (2) find one interesting game, did some research about it so you can present to people, write it up in your page, and (3) what game you would want to build for this class, don't worry, none-biding, you can either do it as individual game or as teamwork, (4) a couple interesting readings about games - theory, critiques, review, stories, etc that you like the class to read as a group.
- Randy's "last lecture" at Carnegie Mellon University Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
- 8/20 - see you at HSI at Tech Square
We will start to play games ad have discussions at HSI 207 - here is the map to HSI -  - it's 2nd floor of the GT Parking office, across the street from St. Charles Deli, the elevator entrance is next to Parking Office's entrance.
Week 2 (8/25, 8/27): Readings on Design and the Play Instinct
Reading to discuss on Tuesday 8/25
- Rand, P, 1965 Design and the Play Instinct, in Education of Vision, ed. Gyorgy Kepes (George Braziller. 1965) (pp154-173) rand-play.pdf
Continue the sharing of 1 game you found interesting, and what game you would like to build.
Check out the 2 readings to discuss next Tuesday.
Reading to discuss on 9/1
- The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bonds, by Kenneth R. Ginsburg for the American Academy of Pediatrics (2007) play.pdf or File:PlayFINAL.pdf
- A study in play, pleasure and interaction design, Brigid Costello, Ernest Edmonds August 2007, DPPI '07: Proceedings of the 2007 conference on Designing pleasurable products and interfaces (76-91) File:P76-costello.pdf
8/25 Sharing games continued
8/27 presents and discuss (1) an interesting game, and (2) the idea of a game you want to build (including who, what, where, and how, maybe even when)
- Who is Paul Rand?
- Check out his famous IBM, eye B M, UPS, ABC logos
- Playing Board games of Bonazah, Blokus, Set, Bendominoes, Thinkertoy and Blink on 8/27 - @ Klaus building 2nd floor lounge area to play games
Week 3 (9/1, 9/3): Readings on Play categories and effect
9/2 discuss the games we played last week:
- Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques Google Book
- Thinkpak, a brainstorming card deck - by Michael Michalko web
- The Bean Game - trading and politics game Bohnanza
- Tripples - board game geek
- Spectrangle - online
- Kataamino - board game
- Bendomino - wiki site
Reading to discuss on 9/4
- The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bonds play.pdf
- A study in play, pleasure and interaction design, Brigid Costello, Ernest Edmonds August 2007, DPPI '07: Proceedings of the 2007 conference on Designing pleasurable products and interfaces media:p76-costello.pdf
- Rand, P, 1965 Design and the Play Instinct, in Education of Vision, ed. Gyorgy Kepes (George Braziller. 1965) (pp154-173) rand-play.pdf
Next week - discussion and meeting in cyber space - check out the 3 readings... at Design_Games#Week_4_.289.2F9.2C_9.2F11.29:_Kids_play
- Please each person contribute to at least 2 online games (more if fine) that you can be a tour guide, so we can schedule time for a *guided tour*
- please add your list to the online game list
- Meanwhile, please think about what projects you would like to work on - you can design a game (physical, virtual, hybrid) in any scale (board, card, room, building, urban, global scale), or study of a game (observations, critiquing, analysis), or a literature survey of types and genres ..
- Be prepared to present your project (whether solo or in teams) on October 2nd, Thursday. ;-)
Week 4 (9/8, 9/10): Kids play
Readings to discuss on Tuesday 9/8
- Computer support for children's collaborative fantasy play and storytelling, Kimiko Ryokai, Justine Cassell, December 1999, CSCL '99: Proceedings of the 1999 conference on Computer support for collaborative learning CSCL99.pdf
- Fullerton, Tracy, Jenova Chen, Kellee Santiago, Erik Nelson, Vincent Diamante, Aaron Meyers, Glenn Song, John DeWeese, "That Cloud Game: Dreaming (and Doing) Innovative Game Design" ACM Siggraph Video Game Symposium, Boston, MA, July 2006 - acm site
- Escape Machine: teaching computational thinking with a tangible state machine game," Michael Philetus Weller, Ellen Yi-Luen Do and Mark D Gross, in Interaction Design and Children (IDC '08), Chicago, June 11-13 pdf
- if the link doesn't work, you will need to go to www.library.gatech.edu site, choose (find article) database and go to A for ACM digital library, login with your GT ID so you can search and access the article
Design and play a game with paper and pencil (or anything else you have around you) - can you do it silently?
Readings to discuss on Thursday 9/10
- Read an excerpt of Everything Bad is Good for You excerpt
- People, places, and play: player experience in a socio-spatial context, Yvonne A. W. De Kort, Wijnand A. Ijsselsteijn, July 2008, Computers in Entertainment (CIE), Volume 6 Issue 2 File:A18-de kort.pdf
- Shall we met in cyber space? - from the Online game list
- Wanna play dress up? IMVU
1. for your amusement, an "MMORPG alternate reality game" was the theme of a Numb3rs episode called "Primacy" was aired during re-run this weekend, you may be able to watch the episode online somewhere
2. for those of you who missed Blair's GVU talk on AR (augmented reality) game - you could watch it from the online archive - http://gvu.cc.gatech.edu/brownbags_archive.php
3. there are some good references on the definition (and categories) of game in wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game
Week 5 (9/15, 9/17) What are the ideas?
- (start thinking and designing and building first prototype of your project)
9/15 discussion readings
- Defining grief play in MMORPGs: player and developer perceptions, Chek Yang Foo, Elina M. I. Koivisto, September 2004, ACE '04: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in computer entertainment technology File:P245-foo.pdf
- Interaction Forms and Communicative Actions in Multiplayer Games, by Tony Manninen, the International Journal of Computer Game Research, Volume 3, Issue 1 May 2003 online
- Game over: learning by dying, Dimitris Grammenos, April 2008, CHI '08: Proceeding of the twenty-sixth annual SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems, 1443-1452 File:P1443-grammenos.pdf
- Web 2.0 The Machine is Us/ing Us (4:32) video
- What's Web 2.0 video
- Introduction to Second Life (4:13) check it out
- Virtual Palomar West in Second Life (1:49)Virtual Palomar
- The Second Life Bed Case (3:01) 2007 newsclip
- Virtual Sex in Second Life (4:21) steamier side newsclip
- - follow up (03/2008) news fox news
- The Flamming Deeps - Lord of the RIngs (1:53)trailer
- Spores - 3 2006 B-Roll - editor (3:46) spores
- Official Trailer 2006 (1:31) trailer
- Spore E308 Trailer 2008 (2:30) 2008
- 1 min TV ad (1:01) ad
- The Science Behind Spore (3:07) interview
- Simulating Success: SL-to-RL Border Guard Training Simulation Improves
Test Scores By 28% article
- Terrorists in War of WorldCraft article
- War on Terror, the board game game
REF: discussion readings
- Educational video game design: A review of the literature, in The Journal of Applied Educational Technology, JAET Vol 4, No 1, 2007. Mary Jo Dondlinger, dondinger.pdf
- Mitchel Resnick, Amy Bruckman, Fred Martin, 1996, Pianos not stereos: creating computational construction kits, Interactions, Vol 3, issue 5: 40-50 pdf
- Once Upon a Time Will Video Games Ever Have Their 'Moby Dick' or 'Citizen Kane'?
- Gregory D. Abowd, Elizabeth D. Mynatt, 2000, Charting Past, Present and Future Research in Ubiquitous Computing, in ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction  7(1):29-58
!! Important !! Please go through the IRB training and obtain a certificate if you plan on testing or observing people
1. EA is coming to visit GT 9/17 & 18 (Thur and Friday)
Thursday 9/17 11:00 am - keynote address at Klaus 1443 1:30 at our Design Game class at HSI
2. for the 9/17 class, we will have 3 parts - 25 + 35 + 20
(1) 1 minute madness from everyone in the class - so a slide or two (no more than 3, as there is only 1 min per person) showing your name, the project ideas you want to work on, build,
test, study, etc
(2) EA representatives do some presentation (3) Q & As
3. therefore, in preparation of Thursday 9/17, we should do a dress rehearsal (Tuesday)
-- so we can see what people will do for their 1 min -- and yes, you could still change your mind before Thursday -- if we can all post the slides on the wiki - then we can click
through each one
-- alternatively, if everyone uploaded the slides early enough, we
can put every slides into one ppt file
- EA keynote address - 11:00 - noon Klaus 1443
afternoon our class
- please make sure you do not go over 1 min (no matter how many slides you may have!) - shorter is good
- meanwhile -
The EA presenters to our class are John Swisshelm (Designer) and Andrew Orlando (Engineer) both are graduates of GT
Andrew Orlando’s Bio:
Computer Science/Fall 2008
-Entertainment Software Producers club
- took a number of game dev related courses: 4455 Video Game Design & Programming, 3451 Computer Graphics, 4731 Game AI,
4803 Handheld Augmented Reality Game Design & Prog
-did a co-op in Atlanta for several semesters before an internship with EA
Client Software Engineer for BioWare Austin Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO
SE for Mythic Entertainment Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Week 6 (9/22, 9/24): What are the challenges?
imagine this to be an amusement part ride, and you can hop over a skyscraper..
serious game - http://www.onguardonline.gov/games/overview.aspx
Serious Games http://seriousgames.ning.com/
Games for Change
Just in case you have a paper ready to submit...(due 9/26) - or look for next year's deadline
IEEE International Conference on Digital Game and Intelligent Toy Enhanced Learning http://digitel2010.cl.ncu.edu.tw/#
Special Issue on 3D Virtual World on Health and Healthcare http://jvwresearch.org/index.php?_cms=default,0,0
The Game Closet http://kidshealth.org/kid/closet/index.html
We will play both games on 9/23 Tuesday
9/24, discuss the following papers
- How to Make Games for Visually Impaired Children, Dominique Archambault, Damien Olivier , Proceedings of the 2005 ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in computer entertainment technology, Valencia, Spain, Pages: 450 - 453 Media:How to Make Games for Visually Impaired Children-2005.pdf
- Hesham M Kamel and James A Landay, (2002) Sketching images eyes-free: a grid-based dynamic drawing tool for the blind, ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Assistive Technologies, 33-40 gt library acm site
- Svetlana Yarosh, Kevin Huang, Ian Mosher, Marisa Topping (2008) CHI extended abstract, Works in Progress 3249 - 3254 PlayWare
- Kevin Huang, Jesse Smith, Kimberly Spreen, Mary Frances Jones, 2008, Breaking the Sound Barrier: Designing an Interactive Tool for Language Acquisition in Preschool Deaf Children, in Interaction Design for Children - idcpaper.pdf
9/25, discussion of the following readings
- N John Habraken and Mark D Gross, 1988, Concept Design Games, in journal of Design Studiesm Vol 9, No 3, July 150-158 - media:ConceptDesgnGames.pdf
- Do, Ellen Yi-Luen and Mark D Gross, (2007) Environments for Creativity, a Lab for Making Things in Creativity and Cognition, 27-26, ACMi SIGCHI, gt acm site
- Georgia Leigh McGregor, Architecture, Space and Game Play in World of Warcraft and Battle for Middle Earth 2 pdf
- Huggy Pajama - http://yongsoonchoi.blogspot.com/2008/03/huggy-pajama.html
- I/O Brush - http://web.media.mit.edu/~kimiko/iobrush/
- Scratch - http://scratch.mit.edu/
- McCorduck p, 1991, Aaron’s Code, San Francisco, W.H Freeman aaron.pdf
- My Virtual Life - in BusinessWeek
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_18/b3982001.htm with bonus features online extra http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/toc/06_18/B3982magazine.htm
- UNICEF: Teen Second Life videos promote child rights
warning, the following may be disturbing to watch
- A Child's War - a video made in Second Life by Global Kids
- pedophiles act out child abuse in second life virtual prog
- Not to miss - the world from my window http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/the_world_from_my_window/index.html
Week 7 (9/25, 9/27): Game - let's meet on line in sketching game?
1. rain - a game? a play? maybe we should try to do that sometime ;-)
2. silent game - to gain insight why NSF funded the Design Method project
Design and play a game with paper and pencil (or anything else you have around you) - can you do it silently? drawing fun - http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Emberleys-Drawing-Book-World/dp/0316789720
3. a Lab for Making Things - so you understand my approach to creativity
- paper attached (presented at Creativity and Cognition in 2007)
4. Alcohol and Creativity - a pilot study (yes, a drinking game)
- paper attached - to present at Creativity and Cognition at Berkeley this year
5. Fun with Blow Painting - yes, a game or play
- paper attached - to present at Creativity and Cognition at Berkeley this year
6. Floor, Come and Embrace Me!
- paper attached, what I will present at Ubicomp workshop
7. We will meeting online at www.six11.org for next week's classes
We will play the following two games
Picture Phone http://six11.org/picturephone/
Stella Sketch http://six11.org/ss/
Week 7 (9/29, 10/1): What do we know about designing games?
The Graduate Student Symposium seeks papers from students working in tangible embedded embodied interaction. Faculty members: please tell your students about this opportunity!
The GSC will be held on Sunday January 24th, the day before the main conference. GSC students meet and discuss their work with one another and a panel of experienced TEI researchers in an informal and interactive setting. We welcome applications from graduate students in terminal degree programs, (i.e. doctoral programs in research fields and master programs in the arts) in any of the disciplines and approaches that contribute to the TEI community. Each applicant should provide a short written paper (no more than two pages in normal ACM SIGCHI archival format). This paper should describe ongoing work and might summarize the student's dissertation, or highlight a particular aspect. In addition to the paper submission, graduate student submissions should be accompanied by a brief letter of support from the student's principal adviser. Please submit the letter of support together with the paper on the PCS submission site.
Selection of GSC participants will be made by the GSC committee; please note that GSC submissions are not anonymous. We anticipate that financial support will be available for graduate students to attend the GSC and TEI.
Submission deadline for the Graduate Student Consortium is October 2nd, 11:59 pm EDT (UTC-4). http://tei-conf.org/10/Participation/GraduateStudentConsortium
Don't forget to meet online. (Ellen will join you from Ubicomp if the network is stable!)
a nice product to come
The latest on electricity - check out this cool MIT invention: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEDTalks_video/~3/M7USkLaNNhc/619
For technology details, check out the following: http://www.witricity.com/pages/technology.html
Recursive fun - http://www.cesmes.fi/
Fall Recess to Thanksgiving
Week 8 (10/8, 10/10): Project
10/8 Tuesday hands-on activitiy
1. folding and unfolding cubes - bring scissors, knife (and cutting board), glue or tape
2. silent game - pen, and paper, bring your wit ;-)
3. peer review -
someone archived my design from way back http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/jbfoldcube.htm
CFP - www.cagames.com.sg
- project time - work on your projects (individually or in teams)
- Check out AR Facade
- My Roomba Is Rambo: Intimate Home Appliances [pdf]
- Check out a chapter (or two) from [Beyond Fun: Serious Games and Media]
- ref: Concept Design Games - recording media:ConceptDesignGames-recording.pdf and case study media:ConceptDesignGames-casestudy.pdf
- Check out [HCI Body of Knowledge]
- presentation of your project prototypes/work in progress
mid term project presentation - each person presents progress of their projects!!
a couple of them may be of interest!
Whole Body Interaction - http://lister.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homepage/staff/cmsdengl/WBI2010/
Video Game as Research Instrument - http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/people/e.calvillo/ws_videogames
Wellness Informatics - http://www.wellness-informatics.com/
Senior Friendly Technology - http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/eledbl/chi2010/
Natural User Interfaces...
Brain, Body and Bytes - http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~agirou01/workshop/
Artifacts in Design - http://people.cs.vt.edu/~swahid/workshop/
Designing Sketch Recognition Interfaces - http://srl.csdl.tamu.edu/workshops/2010/chi/
etc. - see all listing at http://www.chi2010.org/authors/cfp-workshop-participants.html
10/8 Thursday - Stop Motion Video production Thursday we will engage in making vision videos in a stop motion animation style - a alternative form of story boarding
Please bring your digital camera, cable or memory card reader, tripod, and props you can use to demonstrate your game play
A lot of work here: http://www.academic-conferences.org/ecgbl/ecgbl2009/ecgbl09-timetable.htm
- project presentation and discussion
Do your IRB training and getting a certificate..
- relating to design
Inventing Kindergarten - good book to read
Week 9 (10/13, 10/15): Presentation of project ideas in Stop Motion Videos
- tuesday session will be the stop motion video production of your game play
(so if you already have some images, feel free to edit the timing, add frames, retouch, add music, narration, whatever appropriate!) video viewing will be thursday - looking forward to it!
if you google stop motion video (ideas, tutorial, etc) you would find lots of interesting examples!
this is the one that was produced last thursday ;-)
here is a link to Archibots stop motion video that the ubicomp workshop participants produced in a couple hours (without too much post production editing, so some timing was too short)
example of vision video done in a class session http://mtifall09.wordpress.com/category/1-vision-videos/
here are some references for movie editing..
how to make animated gifs in photoshop
Viewing of Stop Motion Video!! http://www.youtube.com/user/DesignGames09
Yiran and Ning's project - media:presentation1.pptx
- each person should start working on a project prototype
- Location of Georgia Tech's Surplus - 711 Marietta Street, Atlanta, GA 30332-0300, Tel: 404-894-5000, Main Fax:
404-894-8552, AP Fax: 404-894-8195 Building 113
check out sketch -to-photo application just revealed at conference
and the big gadgets!
some more games
Bomberman Evolved - Play it in real http://eblogger.dk/school/bombermanevolved/index.php
Exertion Interfaces (sports game over a distance) http://exertioninterfaces.com/cms/
FInancial Literacy http://www.sealund.com/alaris/news/cbs_video/video.html
Piano Stairs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw
The Deep Rubbish Bin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbEKAwCoCKw&NR=1
Rhonda sketch - http://rhondaforever.com/
- upload your stopmotion video to YouTube (DesignGames09/designgames)
just received these two pointers - normally i will not mention religion and politics - but as they appeared in the [serious game mailing list] - so i thought i would share
1. American Academy of Religion Conference Theme: Religion and Play - call for papers
Note: The AAR supports the study of emerging, new, and alternative religions. The AAR neither endorses nor rejects any religious belief or practice.
2. Political discussion aside this is of course interesting: http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/236924.php
- here is a Mark Twain quote - "Get your facts first, then you can
distort them as you please."
Week 10 (10/20, 10/22): Reflections
Post your Stop Motion Video at YouTube (designgames09 designgames)
- Reference on design thinking and multiple-intelligence!: to access the following papers (ellen_web/eweb)
- Lawson, B (1990) How Designers Think, Butterworth, London, p1-7 lawson.pdf
- Gardner, H, 1994, Chapter 6, The Creator’s Patterns, in MA Boden (ed) Dimensions of Creativity, MIT Press, 143-158 gardner-pattern.pdf
if artists can build them.. you should be able to build them too ;-)
i mentioned wooden mirror to some of you - simple image processing control flipping of wooden pixels on the wall/mirror
http://www.smoothware.com/danny/woodenmirror.html (check out the video)
here is another one with simple image processing - just a camera to capture the color of the objects and project it back http://www.osmankhan.com/surlatable/index.html (check out the video)
some of you asked to see previous student work - here you go
here is a project from a class (yes, my formal students at university of washington) http://code.arc.cmu.edu/dmgvideo/html/alphabet.html
another student project - laser space http://code.arc.cmu.edu/dmgvideo/html/lasersp.html
this one puts ped simulation on the table top http://code.arc.cmu.edu/lab/upload/mtable.mp4
Week 11 (10/27, 10/29): Project Time
- work on your project - by yourself, or with collaborator, or engage in game play study!
- Ellen and several people would be at the Creativity and Cognition conference!
Week 12 (11/3, 11/5): Project Time
- Work on your projects - final project presentation Dec 1st and Dec 3rd, document due Dec 10
- Optional: Check out the articles "Design Principles for Tools to Support Creative Thinking" and "Creativity and Distributed Intelligence" both from the creativity workshop web site
- Check out AI
- Check out Processing http://processing.org/exhibition/
- Check out the projects by Usman Haque - images and videos
Week 13 (11/11, 11/13): Project Time
- work on your project...
- Ellen in Taiwan hosting a workshop - Project Play
Week 14 (11/17, 11/19): Project Time
- This week is preview time - please come do show-n-tell of your project - work in progress is fine - final open house is December 1st.
Thanksgiving to End of Semester
Week 15 (11/25, 11/26): Project Time
11/26 Thanksgiving Break
Work on your projects.... Give Ellen the list of people you would like to invite for the Open House - project final presentation
Week 16 (12/1, 12/3): Project Presentation Open House
- Final Project presentation - open house
- Each project should have appropriate presentation material (poster, demonstration, tangible object, etc) that people can interact with and give comments and feedback
Week 17 (12/8, 12/10): Final Project Documentation Due
- Final Project documentation due - please post electronic copy on your personal web page link on this class wiki site, and send email to ellen indicate when you have done so.
- The project documentation should include title of the project, motivation (why you are doing this), related work (what did other people do that's similar to your project), design and implementation of the project (explain the process, system architecture, design schematics, etc, so that a smart graduate student can learn from your project by being able to reproduce it at least), and discussion (what's the contribution and uniqueness of this project, and what are the lessons learned, what are the challenges and issues, and what are the possible future work, etc. Welcome to relate to any of the readings or discussions from any of the class sessions, or any other people's project.)
- (final grade due 12/14)
Week 17 (12/15, 12/17): Final Document Due
- final project document due 12/12, grade due 12/14
- Please use ACM CHI format - http://www.chi2010.org/authors/format.html#archiveformat